Serving the citizens of Arkansas and the agricultural and business communities by providing information and unbiased enforcement of laws and regulations set by the Arkansas State Plant Board
The quality of the analysis is only as good as the sample. If the sample is representative of the whole lot, the analysis will reflect the true quality of the seed. Select the proper trier to take the sample, by making sure it can reach all portions of the container.
Sampling Seed in Traditional Size Bags (less than 100 lbs):
To obtain a composite sample of a lot of seed:
- For lots of six bags or less each bag should be sampled.
- For lots of more than six bags, sample five bags plus at least 10% of the number of bags in the lot. (Round off numbers with decimals to the nearest whole number raising .5 to the next whole number.) Regardless of the lot size it is not necessary that more than 30 bags be sampled.
|No. bags in lot:|
|No. bags to sample:|
Sampling Seed in Mini-Bulk Bags (1000 - 3000 lbs per bag):
|Lot Size||Number of Probes|
|1 Container||At least 5 probes per bag|
|2-10 Containers||One probe from at least 2 containers/ no less than 6 probes total|
|11 Containers or more||One probe from at least 5 containers/ no less than 6 probes total|
Sampling Bulk Seed
Bulk seeds or screening should be sampled by inserting a long probe (trier) into the bulk as circumstances require in at least seven uniformly distributed parts of the quantity being sampled.
Size of Sample Needed:
For composite sample to test for quality:
The following are minimum weights for samples of non-certified seed to be submitted for analysis or examination:
- Five ounces (approximately 150 grams) of red or crimson clover, alfalfa, lespedeza, ryegrass, bromegrass, flax, rape, or seeds of similar size.
- One pound of sudangrass, proso, hemp or seeds of similar size.
- Two pounds (approximately 1,000 grams) of sorghum, cereals, vetches, or seeds of similar or larger size.
- Two ounces (approximately 55 grams) of grass seed not otherwise mentioned above, white or alsike clover, or seeds not larger than these