Natural Resources

Efficiently and responsibly managing and protecting our water and land resources for the sustainability, health, safety, and economic benefit of the State of Arkansas

Nutrient Management Planning

What is a Nutrient Management Plan?
A “nutrient management plan" is a document approved by a conservation district board that is prepared to assist landowners and operators in the proper management and utilization of nutrient sources for maximum soil fertility and protection of state waters. A nutrient management plan will not be approved unless it is prepared by a Certified Nutrient Planner.

Do I need one?
If you plan to apply litter, sewage sludge, or commercial fertilizer within an area designated as a “Nutrient Surplus Area,” Arkansas law requires you to obtain a nutrient management plan. If you do not plan to apply nutrients within a nutrient surplus area, usage of a nutrient management plan is voluntary.

What is a Nutrient Surplus Area?
A Nutrient Surplus Area (NSA) is an area that has been designated by the Arkansas General Assembly as having such high concentrations of one or more nutrients that continued unrestricted application of the nutrient could negatively impact soil fertility and waters of the state.

How do I know if my area is within a Nutrient Surplus Area?
This map depicts the areas declared by the General Assembly to be NSAs. You may also view a textual description at Ark. Code Ann. § 15-20-1104.

How do I obtain a Nutrient Management Plan?
Contact your local conservation district.

Who should I contact if I have further questions?

Monica Hancock, Environmental Program Coordinator
Arkansas Department of Agriculture
Natural Resources Division
10421 W. Markham Street
Little Rock, AR 72205
Phone: 479 250-7444
Email: Monica Hancock

Reference: Title XXII