Natural Resources

Efficiently and responsibly managing and protecting our water and land resources for the sustainability, health, safety, and economic benefit of the State of Arkansas

Planner Certification

Frequently Asked Questions

What is it?
This program provides training and certifies the competence of individuals to write nutrient management plans for litter or commercial fertilizer for land within Nutrient Surplus Areas.

What is a Nutrient Management Plan?
A Nutrient Management Plan is a documented record describing how nutrients will be managed to assist landowners in maximizing usage of using fertilizers, litters, and other nutrient sources while protecting waters of the state.

What is a Nutrient Surplus Area?
A Nutrient Surplus Area (NSA) is an area that the Arkansas General Assembly has designated as having such high concentrations of one or more nutrients that continued unrestricted application of the nutrient could negatively impact soil fertility and waters of the state.

How do I know if my area is within a Nutrient Surplus Area?
This map depicts the areas declared by the General Assembly to be NSAs. You may also view a textual description at Ark. Code Ann. § 15-20-1104.

Does it affect me?
If you plan to fertilize an area of 2.5 acres or more with litter, sewage sludge, or commercial fertilizer, you will need a nutrient management plan. You may become certified to write your own plan, ask an employee of your local conservation district to draft one for you for free, or hire someone else to write one for you.

What do I have to do to become Certified?
To become a Nutrient Management Planner, you must submit an application, attend a training course, pass an exam, and submit a certification fee of $100 and a testing fee of $25.

Who should I contact if I have further questions?

Megan Perkins, Conservation Program Coordinator
Arkansas Department of Agriculture
Natural Resources Division
10421 W. Markham Street
Little Rock, AR 72205
Phone: 501 682-3968
Email Megan Perkins

Reference: Title XX