Natural Resources

Efficiently and responsibly managing and protecting our water and land resources for the sustainability, health, safety, and economic benefit of the State of Arkansas

Water and Wastewater Funding

Frequently Asked Questions

ANRC has available funding for water and wastewater projects from both State and Federal programs. Each of these programs has its own requirements and limitations. Our purpose here is to provide an overview of what can be done without getting into specifics of each program.

What sort of projects does ANRC fund?

  • Public Water supply, treatment and distribution systems
  • Sewer collection and treatment systems
  • Solid waste collection or disposal
  • Irrigation (water conservation)
  • Flood Control and drainage
  • Erosion and sediment control
  • Agricultural Best Management Practices (Non-point Source pollution prevention)

Who is eligible to receive funds?

  • Cities
  • Towns
  • Counties
  • Rural Development Authorities
  • Public Facilities Boards
  • Water Associations
  • Improvement Districts
  • Regional Water Distribution Districts
  • Levee and Drainage Districts
  • Conservation Districts
  • Regional Solid Waste Authorities
  • Regional Wastewater Treatment Districts

How much is available? Funds may be used for new or existing systems. Generally, funds must be used for capital improvement projects and not maintenance projects.
ANRC has funded projects for $5,000 up to $50,000,000.

Is there a deadline for funding?
No, there is no deadline for funding.

What specific programs does ANRC get funds from?
The ANRC currently administers three Federal and three State programs that provide financial assistance through loans and grants for water and wastewater projects. Each program has different criteria for funding.

Do I have to apply for money from a specific program?
Each applicant fills out a general ANRC Funding Application and ANRC staff will determine which program best fits your community's needs. Determination of need may depend on things such as priority of project, income level of persons that will benefit from project and the current user rates.

Are there other sources of funds I could use for this project?
Yes. You should also contact USDA - Rural Utilities Service Water & Wastewater Disposal Programs at (501)- 301-3268 and Communities Unlimited's Water and Wastewater Loan Program at (501) 228-7197.

What do I have to do to get started?
You must file an ANRC Funding Application, a Signatory Authority Resolution, and submit your project to the Water/Wastewater Advisory Committee for review. Click here to find these forms.

If you have any questions about the application process, please contact:

For more information contact:

Debra BanksProgram Outreach Coordinator
Arkansas Department of Agriculture
Natural Resources Division
10421 W. Markham St., Little Rock, AR 72205
Phone: (501) 682-0547
Fax: (501) 682-0561

Debby Dickson, Program Fiscal Manager
Arkansas Natural Resources Commission
10421 W. Markham St., Little Rock, AR 72205
Phone: (501) 682-0548
Fax: (501) 682-0561

Supporting, Protecting, and Growing Arkansas Agriculture and Forestry
Contact Us
1 Natural Resources Dr.
Little Rock, AR
(501) 225-1598