Protecting Arkansas’s forests, and those who enjoy them, from wildland fire and natural hazards while promoting rural and urban forest health, stewardship, development, and conservation for all generations of Arkansans
Posting of Real Property
"It shall be unlawful for any person to enter upon any real property posted under the provisions of this subchapter without the written consent of the owner or lessee of the real property." ACA. § 18-11-403(a)(2)
The Arkansas Forestry Commission prescribes the type and color of posting paint. However, the AFC does not enforce the Posting Law.
Any person who knowingly paints the prescribed color on any tree or post for any purpose other than posting real property shall be guilty of a Class B misdemeanor. ACA § 18-11-406(a)(2)
It shall be unlawful for any person to post any lands which the person does not own or lease except with the written permission of the owner or lessee. Violators shall be guilty of a Class B misdemeanor. ACA § 18-11-406(b)The following land may be posted:
- cultivated land
- other real property
- The owner or lessee
Who may post property? Ways to post property:
- Forest Land
- Signs - Signs placed not more than 100 feet apart and at each road entrance. The signs shall bear the words "POSTED" and/or "NO TRESPASSING" in letters at least 4 inches high. The signs shall be readily visible to any person approaching the property.
- Paint - Vertical paint marks at least 8 inches in length shall be placed on trees or posts no more than 100 feet apart, and at each road entrance. The paint marks shall be not less than 3 feet nor more than 5 feet from ground level, and shall be readily visible to any person approaching the property.
- Cultivated Land, Orchards, Pasture Land, Impoundments, Other Same as (1) and (2) above but the distance between signs or paint marks are no more than 1,000 feet apart.
- Posting Paint
Posting paint is a purple, semi-paste, tree marking paint which meets or exceeds the following specifications:
- Solid PIgments (Base color) - 62.6%
Titanium Dioxide - 22.2%
Calcium Carbonate - 77.8%
- Vehicle (varies with manufacturer) - 37.4%
Oleoresinus Vehicle - 47.2%
Petroleum Solvents - 45.4%
Driers, wetting agents, and tinting materials (lamp black, red iron oxide, magenta) - 7.4%
Availability of Posting Paint
Any manufacturer of paint may manufacture this posting paint, provided they adhere to the designated formula.
The following paint manufacturers are able to produce a purple semi-paste tree marking paint:
- Ingles, Inc., Jonesboro, AR
- Stebbins & Roberts, Inc., Little Rock, AR
- Anchor Paint Manufacturing Company, Little Rock, AR
- Nelson Paint Company, Montgomery, AL
- NCP Coatings, Niles, MI
- The Home Depot Store