Efficiently and responsibly managing and protecting our water and land resources for the sustainability, health, safety, and economic benefit of the State of Arkansas
Groundwater Protection and Management Program
To manage and protect the groundwater resources in Arkansas for human, environmental and economic benefit.
The Arkansas Natural Resources Commission (Commission) is the State's water resources planning and management agency. The Commission is responsible for state level planning, management, and protection of our groundwater resources. This is accomplished through monitoring of aquifer water levels and water quality, the implementation of best management practices (BMPs), conservation, enforcement of the proper construction of water wells, and education. The Commission works closely with other state and federal agencies to monitor a dynamic water well network of approximately 1000 sites for water level and water-quality information. The Commission's Groundwater Management and Protection Programs are summarized below.
- Pursuant to the Arkansas Groundwater Protection and Management Act of 1991, the Commission produces an annual groundwater report on the condition of the State's groundwater resources. This report summarizes the monitoring well network data and provides an annual update on the tax credit program and water use registration program. The data collected for this report is used to influence policy and program recommendations, such as Critical Groundwater Area designation.
- Water Well Construction Commission licensing, permitting, and enforcement
- Water Well Construction Report Database
- Groundwater Conservation Tax Credit Program
- Water Use Registration Program
- Provide technical assistance on water well construction report database inquiries, water well policy question, and general geology, hydrogeology, and water supply availability questions
Click here to view more Groundwater Annual Reports
For more information contact:
10421 W. Markham St., Little Rock, AR 72205
Phone (501) 682-3983
Fax (501) 682-3991